Saturday, 30 March 2013

iPads!



“Adaptation and innovation are at the heart of technological practice” (Ministry of Education, 2007, p.32). My centre has recently introduced the children to iPads, the children only have access to the five iPads when they start doing Cherrybytes. When the children were first introduced to the iPads the teacher placed the five iPads on the floor and the children automatically separated into different groups around each iPad. The groups consisted of three to four children. As the children began exploring the iPads and the different educational applications I noticed that most of the children already knew how to use it. They knew that they needed to slide their finger across the screen in order to use it rather than by clicking like they would on a computer. The children worked well together while testing out the new iPads, the more experienced children began helping the not so experienced children. They would help them through verbal instruction as well as through guiding their fingers across the screen or pointing. 

 
Over the years digital technological tablets such as iPads have become the new computers in early childhood settings as they are portable, easy to use and offer a wide range of learning opportunities if used appropriately. “Research shows that computer use supports and increases young children’s skills in the social, cognitive, language, literacy, writing and mathematics realms” (McManis & Gunnewig, 2012, p. 15). Through working together and helping one another the children are furthering their social skills as they gain the confidence in forming friendships (Ministry of Education, 1996). “Technology is about helping people and solving problems” (Smorti, 1999, p. 5). As the children worked and problem solved together they started to further their understanding of how this kind of technology can help them and others (Ministry of Education, 1996). “Through the Technological knowledge strand, students develop knowledge particular to technological enterprises and environments and understandings of how and why things work” (Ministry of Education, 2007, p.32). The software on the iPads are open-ended which allows for the children’s learning to be supported and through that learning children are able to gain a better understanding of different learning area concepts (Zevenbergen & Logan, 2008).

From this experience I have learnt that digital technology such as iPads are starting to play an important part to children’s learning in early childhood and that teachers need to adapt and guide children’s learning. “Adult guidance for children using computers is associated with increases in abstract reasoning, planning behaviour, visual-motor coordination, and visual memory” (McManis & Gunnewig, 2012, p. 15). I have learnt that iPads do not necessarily have to be restricted to the over three age group, I believe that as long as the software and use of the technological device is developmentally appropriate then under threes could have the opportunity to extend on their understanding and development. “For technology to be developmentally appropriate, it should be responsive to the ages and developmental levels of the children, to their individual needs and interests, and to their social and cultural contexts” (McManis & Gunnewig, 2012, p. 16). I have learnt that computers such as iPads should also be handled with caution as teachers could become dependent on them and ignore other crucial learning areas such as outdoor exploration and physical play (Wardle, 2007).

4 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Kathleen

    I really like how you mentioned that more skilled peers were able to help each other and show them how to use the ipads. Encouraging children to help others I believe is important as it lets them know that not everybody will be familiar or feel comfortable whilst using this piece of technology. I believe in free play and learning through relationships and this aligns with the theory of Vygotsky who stated that, “helping children accomplish something is more inportant than letting them struggle and possibly fail” (Gonzalez-Mena, 2008, p. 175). You mentioned the need for adaption and guidance from teachers. This is a nice challenge for teachers as we have to accept these new generations and what technologies are around for them to explore as children. It can feel challenging and overwhelming when you don’t know how to use it yourself (Fleer, & Jane, 2011). However professionalism allows for the time and patience to learn new and exciting thing in the world that are new to us also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Kathleen,
    I believe that using iPad’s in early childhood centres are a very common example of the evolvements that technology has made over the past years. I agree with the way that you and the teachers at your centre chose to introduce the iPad’s to the children because although they are able to observe and explore freely the teacher is still observing them. I also like the way that the children we in small groups as this allows for conversation and question asking. This would also help quiet children to feel comfortable and develop the confidence to ask their peers questions about things they might not know about when using the iPad (Somerset, 2000). It is also good to read about the Tuakana-Teina concept coming through in your blog as you mention the more experienced children began to help the less experienced children. This opportunity would provide the more experienced children with chances to connect the early childhood setting to familiar settings within their home environment (Ministry of Education, 1996).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Kathleen
    It truly amazes me to see how many centres and schools are now using I-pads within them. I remember when the first I-pad came out and everybody looked at them as a rich mans toy. Wow how have times changed, nearly everybody you meet now days has one and more and more schools are expecting for children to have one to further their knowledge (3news, 2011). I know in order for my niece to move into the accelerant class at her intermediate her parents needed to purchase an I-pad for her. The I-pad has so many wonderful features that allow for children to excel. How have you personally found the I-pads have worked within your room? What apps do you find the best for the children? You mentioned that a lot of the children new how to use the I-pad before introducing them, has this lead for use to have discussion's around the I-pad with parents? It would be cool if you could ask the parents that have I-pads at home what apps the children use their so you can include them on your I-pads at the centre. This will allow for your relationships with parents to extend a you include them into your centre a bit more (Gonzalez- Mena, 2009). Also it will benefit the children as they will be able to link different things from home at the centre, helping to build their sense of belonging and also giving them that added opportunity to teach the other children how to us that app.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia Ora Kathleen
    Wow five iPads within your centre for the children to use, I have found the Ipad to be a very useful learning tool that is one of the popular learning experiences children love to do in groups or solitary my centre. I find it intriguing how the children know how to work the iPads and always within my centre, the children are eager to assist and help their peers out when using the iPad “Children develop strategies and skills for initiating, maintaining, and enjoying a relationship with other children- including taking turns and problem solving” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.70). Do you find when the children are exploring the iPad that they congregate together in groups and help one another out collaboratively? I too agree with you that the under threes should also have access to this wonderful piece of technology, as in my centre all age groups can use this device with teachers supervision and guidance It is essential for early childhood educators to provide enriched learning experiences and opportunities for children to explore technology (Smorti, 1999).

    ReplyDelete